Jackson Barracks in New Orleans, Louisiana ( 29.956835° N, -90.007849° W)
Established in 1834, Jackson Barracks is located in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans, Louisiana. Originally called the New Orleans Barracks, the base was renamed in 1866 in honor of Andrew Jackson. Today it serves as the headquarters for the Louisiana National Guard.
On February 25, 1920, two hundred soldiers from Jackson Barracks put on a sham battle for the public at the City Park Race Track as part of the Spring Buyers Convention festivities. The soldiers demonstrated chemical weaponry used against the Germans in WWI. In attendance was Major General William L. Sibert, director of the United States Chemical Warfare Service.
In August of 2005, Hurricane Katrina flooded Jackson Barracks, decimating the housing there. The damage was so extensive, many of the structures had to be rebuilt. After five years of cleanup, building, and restoration, Jackson Barracks was reopened in 2010.
Click to enlarge the following time lapse photos.